27 November, 2007

a few of my favourite things

well ICE DANCE for one...
now while i realize this may not be everyone's cup of tea (my past allusions were devastatingly snubbed), i thought i could get a few of you to at least WARM to the idea of couples in leotards with the following ruse...

1. TEEN CRUD heaven
The Cutting Edge (1992)
The King of the Rink is about to meet America's Ice Queen....



2. FRAT PACK glory
Blades of Glory (2007)
Kick Some Ice...
a hilarious and camp send-off of the competitive ice-skating world that has will ferrell and jon heder (napoleon dynamite) as former foes turned forced to become partners and compete for olympic gold.




at this point i feel i can slip in this....


one of the highlights of my grim teen years holed up in a village in the fenlands. how i cried..from the mundane to the sublime indeed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blandishments have not worked. I have never understood ice skating/dancing whatever the Hell it's called, and I don't see how their movements bear the slightest relationship to the music.

Reminds me of people who build giant model ships out of used matchsticks. You have to admire the effort and skill, but wonder at the application of it all to such a pointless outcome.

Err... have I just rained on your parade?

PS: Hated Blades of Glory, too. The only good ice-skating sequence ever was in To Die For, at the end. Or possibly in that episode of Buffy.

FKJ said...

horrid man!
but at least you didn't ignore my plea. and gave me good rant.

albeo said...

I've always LOVED it. And this was truly breathtaking... Le Duc, I am speechless at your sudden coldness!

Anonymous said...

You are both obviously screaming homosexuals.

While I, clearly, am nothing but a man's manly man.

All man, me.





Yeah, like I'm gonna get away with that pretence for long.

anglosaxonne said...

Flav i had never seen that vid. for me ice skating only got as good as torville and dean. which i thot was pretty good. wow. i felt teary. i pictured you holed up in a small bit town (or imagined me as wee one in small bit town) being taken away by this. more pls. of the magic of skating. and less of men looking like then poster of the man with the puppy (without the puppy and with saggier pecks). sorry leduc. but i was moved :-))

Anonymous said...

Noooooooooooo!

Lady V said...

Oh, that Titian haired temptress. I remember.

But I also remember the theme from Ski Sunday. Just before The Antiques Roadshow. I remember mostly that jazzy theme tune.

No?