16 April, 2007

FLASHBACK!


The New Jersey Turnpike. bopping at hundreds of miles an hour in a rusty carcass of a car foisting a horrifically sweet roadside coffee called waawaa in one hand. a cigarette alight in another. driving fast. but not so fast. i am not behind the wheel. the window is down. i poke my head out to feel the wind whack me back inside. playing loudly from a rackety old cassette is the theme song of a 22-year-old flavia, on her first trip to the states.

I am the son
And the heir
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
I am the son and heir
Of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am Human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

3 comments:

Becky Flash said...

I don't think there are enough SUVs on the roads today.

Anonymous said...

You must get extra goose-flesh every time the opening credits play for "The Sopranos" - one of the great title sequences in telly history anyway, methinks.

Scorpio said...

I was at the wheel, clutching my own Wawa cappucino. Crying as we parted.

Remember? Walking away, swiftly.

Just like in Brooklyn the other night.

No long goodbyes for P and F.

HEX! Forever. My favorite person to be hung over with.