19 February, 2008

been YEARS, marjorie...

at least 20 since i was THIS excited about the oscars. folks. finally some films to get our blood boiling our toes curling etc. so i'll be performing my little special rituals to favor the outcome to my liking -- gargling mint water three times before swallowing, wearing clothes upside down, putting on my lucky cap etc, fasting etc.

thing is i'm actually rather torn. and have HUGE crushes on many of the contenders... so...GULP... here i go:

Best Film: No Country for Old Men. am quietly indignant Jesse James was not nominated. that would have been my pick for best film of the year, but who i am? no need to answer that...
Best Male: DDL. why fight it? although Viggo was devastating. any other year...
Best Female: Ellen Page. i know people are getting annoyed with the hype. but it's not her fault. she's been acting the socks off everyone for years and now suddenly everyone has woken up to the towering talent of this canadian pixie. hard candy alone was a staggering epiphany of a performance. so... any other year i would have fought for laura linney but... and I KNOW julie christie was sublime, but... i'll be biting my toe nails through this one.
Best Supporting Male: Casey Affleck. No words for this performance. hypnotizing.
Best Supporting Female: Tilda Swindon Again no words. Give it to her already.
Best Director: Julian Schnabel Bloody tough choice this one was. I'll be clapping away for the Coens, and PT. PS why wasn't Sarah Polley nominated.!!!!!!!!!?
Best Writing: Diablo Cody for Juno DUH!
Best Sceen Adaptation: No Country for Old Men Basically in the battle between There Will be Red Wine and No Country for the old folks I've come out in favor of the latter. Still, debating it. Two masterpieces...
Best cinematography: Jesse James PERIOD

Best Original Score: I am abstaining in protest. They always fuk this one up. There will be Blood had an absolutely stunning soundtrack that along with DDL framed the entire the movie.
Best Foreign Movie: Also abstaining. Another category that is botched every year.

Notable and unforgivable oversights (in no particular order, and more will occur to me): 3:10 to Yuma, Jesse James, Sarah Polley, Catherine Keener (don't laugh)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am so with you on many -- but *not* all -- of these. I would have to follow my awe-struck worship of PT by giving TWBB the Best Picture. It is like nothing else that emerged last year: a film that is pure, visceral, cinematic ball-grabbing ('scuse gonadocentrism, but you know what I mean). Am so, so with you on the outrage of their excluding the score for this film -- again, in a class of its own (as was the sound design -- that sudden muffled sequence when the man was submerged in the well...). It is A Film Of Our Time. Sigh...

And I really, really liked NCFOM, but it was a much more conventional film, not a mould-breaker like TWBB.

Best Director? Well, following my logic, it has to be PT. I think only Todd Haynes can come close to challenging him in the League Tables of Best Living American Director (Scorsese? Not any more...). TWBB is confirmation of that, and he deserves recognition.

Much as I hate DDL, I have to go with him for Best Actor (and, for me, it's Tommy Lee Jones that is the poor bloody loser in this year of superlative acting. Any other year and he'd be a shoo-in).

Shamefacedly, I confess I haven't yet seen Juno. It's been on my list for ever, and it just hasn't happened.

So now I will retreat, my head hanging in shame. (Although can I put in a plug for Laura Linney? Superb (of course) alongside Philip Seymour Hoffman.

FKJ said...

again. duc as always i am with you. i am battling the blood versus old geezers in head. and frankly you may be write. i change my mind constantly on the subject. basically it has to be either one or the other. on the director front i think i let PT and coen cancel each other out (i figure if you give them a best film...although strictly speaking it's for the producers..) then schnabel (Who won't win) deserves it. his film is truly a wonder in craftmanship.

as for juno. i am SCARED. because the hype is huge and in my experience it is better to see a film before or after. not during the frenzy. it takes nerves of steel not to be subjugated.


as always, yours ever faithfully, pod.

FKJ said...

oh. the support preacher in bloody SHOULD have been nominated. another criminal oversight........

FKJ said...

i cannot believe i mispelt write instead of right btw...errrrrrrr