06 January, 2007

the divine feud



yes, yes. these two old broads were at each other's throats for decades. did they really detest each other as much as they let us to believe? probably not. but they were consummate pros. and stars. the real kind. and they knew there is nothing the public likes more than a good, old-fashioned bitch brawl.

Bette on Joan:
"She has slept with every male star at MGM except Lassie."
"There may be a heaven, but if Joan Crawford is there, I'm not going."
"The best time I ever had with Joan Crawford was when I pushed her down the stairs in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?"

Joan on Bette:
On the set of "Baby Jane" Joan was asked about the differences between herself and Bette Davis, Joan stated:
"Bette likes to rant and rave. I just sit and knit. She yelled and I knitted a scarf from Hollywood to Malibu."

In 1973, Joan talked about the makeup the two actresses used in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? :
"I am aware of how Miss Davis felt about my makeup in Baby Jane, but my reasons for appearing somewhat glamorous were just as valid as hers, with all those layers of Rice powder she wore and that ghastly lipstick. But Miss Davis was always partial to covering up her face in motion pictures. She called it 'Art.' Others might call it camouflage- a cover-up for the absence of any real beauty"

1 comment:

Scorpio said...

Another good one, Bette on JC: "Joan Crawford! I wouldn't sit on her toilet seat!"