18 June, 2007

valencia!




my favourite drink in the whole world. horchata de chufa: i would die for you.

something i picked off a website (www.popsych.com)
a story is told, a long time ago, of a girl in a little town that offered liquid refreshments to the visiting king of catalunya and aragon...after loving his chufa nut drink he wondered: que es aixo? and was promptly told: es leche de chufa! to which the king replied: aixo no es llet. aixo es OR, XATA! or meaning gold and xata meaning cutie pie.

'nough said. i had 5.
i chose not to dunk the FARTON (a kind of donut) into my horchata. well because the name kind of turned me off...




3 comments:

Gloria said...

Well, Orxata, the nectar of the gods itself!

Anonymous said...

simply sublime. i was hooked from age 10 when i was living in barcelona and never looked back since. damn that stuff should be mass produced. and imported to every corner of the earth.

Gloria said...

Oh! you were living in Barna Town! Good Orxaterias there, like my favourite one, Sirvent (near the mercat de Sant Antoni), or Planelles-Donat (in El Portal de L'angel)... Though there are plenty of good brewing places in the Ciutat Comtal

I haven't been in L'Alboraia (as lucky you) which is the Holy Mecca of the Orxataires, though I bet the Orxata must be absolutely delicious there.

Incidentally, I have another blog devoted to assorted items (the Laughton one is a religious one and devoted only to holy man CL, LOL):
http://allthisandtigernutstoo.blogspot.com/

I mean to post Xufla-related stuff from time to time (mostly "reviews" from favourite spots).

I gather you're familiar with Catalan, too?