16 February, 2007

teenage crushes/seminal adolescent movies




ah yes. not sure i'm up to describing the millions of ways, let me count them, of why i adored and still worship this film and will never tire of seeing it over and over. but i do remember rewinding over and over, when my parents gave me a minute's privacy in the tv room in our house in cambridge, the scene of the boys frolicking naked in that idyllic pond (puddle) tucked away in those faerie woods. predictably, i fell heads of heels in love with julian sands (freddy honeychurch's/or rather rupert grave's floppy hair was just a fleeting infatuation by comparison). i know it was true love because it trumped my disappointment that julian's penis appeared rather small and shrivelled. then again, i was nine, and back then i didn't really have much else to compare it too. enough of that.
as an aside, still rate THAT kiss one of the best in film history...

disclaimer: this entry was liberally inspired by someone's recent revival about some film or other, name escapes me, about boys and poetry reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, Rupert Graves' floppy hair has so far proved sufficient to fuel a lifetime obsession. We got to admire his penis again, of course, in another Merchant Ivory production (those naughty, thoughtful MI boys!), "Maurice", although in that film his hair (erm, the stuff on his head, I mean) had gone a bit curly. Still, those licked lips and the slurred "Oh, sir...".

Actually I cruelly used a Scudder quote on a straight male friend of mine who found out to his horror that his by-then ex-girlfriend had got "accidentally" pregnant: "You've had your fun and now you must pay". Inexplicably he chose to forgive me rather than belting me round the head, like I deserved.

As for Julian Sands' penis: nah. It's not the penis, it's the rest of him... Although one of his cousins is a successful graphic designer in Leeds, I'll have you know.

Lady V said...

Forgotten lakes tots, you see, you see...

Le duc, don't talk to me about having fun and paying for it. can't bear it.

Becky Flash said...

Why isn't anyone talking about Simon Callow's penis?